New Hybrids for 2014
Editor’s Note: The following listings provide brief descriptions of new sunflower hybrids that are available for planting in 2014 for the first time, or were available in only limited quantities in 2013. All these companies obviously have additional varieties for sale as well.
Also, some sunflower seed suppliers have indicated they are not planning on any new hybrid releases for 2014, so those companies are not represented in this article (other than their website addresses being listed at the end). For more information on any hybrids, new or previously available, visit company websites or contact your local sales representative.
Hybrid information was provided by the respective seed companies. The Sunflower has edited some listings for brevity and/or style.
CROPLAN By WinField
• 545 CL is CROPLAN by WinField’s newest Clearfield® herbicide-tolerant NuSun® hybrid. It offers very high yield potential with a shorter stature plant and strong standability. This hybrid is very uniform, with medium maturity and strong oil content potential. It is resistant to multiple races of downy mildew and will be treated with Cruiser Maxx® Sunflower plus Bion® for enhanced protection.
545 CL’s excellent disease tolerance and health, with improved tolerance to Phomopsis and Sclerotinia head rot, make it the right hybrid for high yield demands.
• LSF 9426NCL is a medium-height NuSun Clearfield hybrid with very good oil content, improved tolerance to Sclerotinia and great overall standability.
• LSF 9418HOCL is a high-oleic Clearfield hybrid with medium to shorter plant height. It offers superb standability with excellent roots.
• 8N6685 is a single-cross, short-stature NuSun hybrid with very good roots. It delivers high yield along with high oil content and test weight. 8N6685 performs best planted early in a full-season environment.
Nuseed (formerly Seeds 2000)
• Hornet is a medium-maturity, high-oleic hybrid with tolerance to Beyond® herbicide. It offers outstanding yield as well as improved oil content and stalk quality. Hornet also has resistance to multiple races of downy mildew.
• E-31 CL, DMR is a high-oleic, mid-maturity Clearfield variety that can be used for hulling. It is a triple-threat hybrid applicable for the birdfood, hulling and either oil markets.
• SS40EXPCL combines oil and confection sunflower genetics to produce a uniform, mid-maturing, high-yielding ConOil Clearfield-Beyond® herbicide-tolerant variety. Like SunOpta’s 4421 and 4421CL, SS40EXP offers an excellent dehull alternative marketing option.
• SS95 is a medium-maturing, high-yielding confection hybrid with improved test weight and seedling vigor. SS95 offers confection growers a premium large high-yielding new confection variety option.
• SY7717 is a full-season high-oleic Clearfield herbicide-tolerant hybrid with advanced downy mildew protection, resistant to all known races of downy mildew. SY7717 features Syngenta’s newest genetics along with excellent seedling vigor, drought tolerance and high oil content, and has been proven to perform well under stressful conditions. SY7717 is suited for all areas where full season hybrids are grown. SY7717 will be submitted for approval on all high-oleic contracts.
Other Company Websites
Blue River Hybrids (Organic)
Red River Commodities
Back to Hybrid Selection/Planting Stories
Back to Archive Categories